Gettin' Crafty With Nature

Monday, July 25, 2011 § 0

Lately I've been trying to spice up my apartment, but like most 22-year-olds I don't have much money. What I do have is time and energy, so after doing some online research I found lots of cool ways to decorate for little money. My favorite idea was DIY's suggestion of curtain rods out of tree branches. After seeing the photo I immediately ran to my local park, found fallen tree branches of the proper size, brought them home and sanded them.

The only problem were my curtains. I only had bright red curtains (my bedding is cream/ mocha) and didn't want/ couldn't afford to spend money on new ones, so I decided to improvise here as well. I used Rit color remover to soften the color, and dyed them with Rit fabric dye in dark brown. I used four boxes of dye for four curtains (3 lbs. of fabric).

I decided to spray paint the branches for a more finished look, and it pops more against the dark curtains.

To save on over-priced curtain tie-backs, I decided to just use old bracelets that match my bedding.

I dyed my bedroom curtains and living room curtains the same color, so to avoid boring repetition I wove a scarf purchased from Goodwill through the top of the living room curtains.

The curtain-rod-branch idea got my brain in motion, and I came up with this idea to hang some of my polaroids.


You don't need lots of money to spruce up your apartment- just some creativity.

What's this?

You are currently reading Gettin' Crafty With Nature at On the Wall.

meta

§ Leave a Reply